Monday, March 8, 2010

Reconsidering ROM Choice - Bugless Beast?

Alright so it's another day of regular use on my Droid. What I have been realizing lately is that my battery life has gotten steadily better with each day. It's 2 pm right now and it just changed to 70% battery left, when I got up at 7. With probably 50 texts sent/received and an hour on the internet, I consider this to be a win. All this while using AdamZ's Smoked Glass ROM 5.0.1.

Aesthetically, this ROM has it all. I mean it, guys, you won't find more customization anywhere in the Android world. However, after running it for over a week straight, I am beginning to notice more and more frequent random reboots. The first couple of days, it never happened, then it started doing it after I unplugged it from my PC. Now, it's just sporadic. I feel a little vibrate in my pocket, pull my phone out and there it is, booting up. Now, since it reboots itself, and doesn't just turn off, I really don't mind it. But today, it rebooted 3 times, and the third time, it took 3 reboots to load up fully as normal. I'm thinkin' I might need to find a more stable ROM.

This leads me to...


This is the latest build leaked straight from Google of Android 2.1 built specifically for your Motorola Droid. Yeah, there have been others that have been ported from the Nexus One, but those were meant for the Nexus One and therefore, contain a lot of unfixable bugs when running on the Droid that caused minor to intermediate instability.

ESE53 is the future, everyone. Yeah, it's an extra half hour of your life having to use a backup program like Titanium Backup to backup all your apps, settings, etc, when you're making the switch from a 2.0.1 custom ROM to a 2.1 one, but you'll have to do it eventually, so I suggest now as that time. Pete does a great job testing all the features of his ROMs before he releases the next build, so there's no question that you'll be getting the best. AdamZ is talented, too, and his ROM was my "first love," but it's still 2.0.1 and the fact of the matter is, that's outdated.

Time to make the switch.

Oh look, the Droid can be yours for less than $50 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home